As the weather warms up and summer approaches, our minds are on relaxing and soaking up the sun. However, there are some chores around the interior of your home that you should take care of before you run off to enjoy the outdoors. Keeping up with regular home maintenance can help your home run efficiently. Read on for a checklist of chores you should tackle this spring to make sure your home is in tip-top shape.
- Replace your air conditioner filter. It’s important to replace the air filter in your central heating/cooling system every one to three months to keep it operating efficiently.
- Schedule a service call to have your furnace checked.
- Make sure you switch your ceiling fans to spin counter-clockwise. This forces air down and creates a cooling effect.
- Clean bathroom vents. Removing dust from the covers will help them run quietly and efficiently.
- Clean showerheads and bathroom drains to remove mineral deposits.
- Clean out your faucet traps by unscrewing the ends of the faucets with pliers, remove the small screens and flush out all the debris and mineral deposits.
- Clean all kitchen appliances inside and out, especially your refrigerator and its coils.
- Clean out your garbage disposal with ice cubes and salt to remove build-up of sludge. Then pour a half cup of baking soda into the disposal and slowly pour vinegar on top to remove odor. Flush with hot or boiling water.
- Change your water and icemaker filters.
- Clean your range hood and filter.
- Clean your clothes dryer vent pipe.
- Clean your windows and window sills.
- Test your smoke and carbon monoxide detectors, and replace batteries where necessary.
- Oil your garage door opener and chain, and all door hinges.
- Check your attic and basement for any signs of water leaks, mold or pests.
Taking care of to-do items around the home may not be the way you want to spend a beautiful spring weekend, but it will help keep your home running efficiently and help you maintain your investment in your home!