Are You Prepared for When a Storm Hits?
Here we are in hurricane season, which will quickly be followed by winter! Make sure you and your home are prepared by doing the following when alerted for oncoming storms:
- Bring in any outside furniture or toys that could be picked up by the wind
- Make sure all your doors and windows are securely closed
- Turn your refrigerator and freezer down to the lowest temperature so your food will last longer if the power goes out
- Turn off your propane tanks and unplug any small appliances
- Talk about an evacuation plan with your family
- Fill your car’s gas tank
- Have a collection of disaster supplies handy
What disaster supplies should you have ready?
- Water and food that is non-perishable to last you at least three days
- Portable battery charging pack for your mobile devices
- First-aid kit
- Flashlight (with extra batteries)
- Battery operated radio (with extra batteries)
- Local maps
- Whistle to signal for help
- Wrench or pliers to turn off utilities
Weather can be unpredictable, but a storm doesn’t have to take you by surprise. Make sure you have what you need in case a storm hits so you and your family can weather it out together!